What if we communicated with our animal companions the same way we communicated with our family and friends? Animals experience a heightened sense of security and well-being and feel respected when their needs are considered.

I made a recent visit to an animal shelter on a busy Sunday afternoon. The excitement was palpable. “Adoption pending” signs hung over many cage doors; lines of people combed rows of animals searching for the right fit. A young cat pounced on moving toys, entertaining groups of people in the cat adoption room. Nearly all the cats found homes that day.

Meanwhile, volunteer dog walkers circumvented the crowd propelled by dogs eager for their walk. I joined the line of people offering treats, talking to and complimenting each dog, silently asking that the right family come for each of them.

Animal Intuitive Darcy Pariso

Animal Intuitive Darcy Pariso

As I turned to leave, a mournful wailing echoed throughout the room. I followed the sound to a large white Malamute in the corner, inconsolable in his grief. When I asked him what happened, I saw an image of a man walking out the door and out of his life, then a woman taking him to the shelter. In a very short period, he lost his family and his home. He was in shock; he worried if the man for whom he cared deeply was okay. I did some energy work for him and communicated that the people at the shelter would help him to find a new home. It was heartbreaking.

The family of this Malamute may have said goodbye to him, yet he still had unanswered questions and real fears and concerns for them. We often forget to tell our animals what’s ahead when in the throes of a move or any major changes and fail to realize how these changes impact them. Animals consider it their job to protect and care for us; they become incredibly distraught when separated from their loved ones.

Most people don’t truly know the animals they share their lives with. They don’t really see them, nor are they aware of all they do on their behalf.

I believe that’s changing. People are more becoming more conscious. If 51% of the population raises their awareness in an area, it pulls up the remaining 49%. When people understand that animals have the same thoughts and feelings they do, it can help to prevent or reduce animal abuse.

We can help raise consciousness by treating animals with the respect they deserve by talking to them and including them in our thoughts and plans. They won’t have to work so hard to scan and read us to determine what might be next, which is why many suffer from anxiety and act out. We can alleviate a lot of stress and misunderstandings by simply talking with them.

My life became enriched once I came to truly understand my animals. I thank them often for their help and guidance. I’ve apologized for their early years when I was too busy to give them the attention they deserved. I didn’t understand that we were a team working together toward many of the same goals.

When an animal communicator talks to an animal who is experiencing fear, trauma, or showing aggressive behaviors, it’s not uncommon for a conversation alone to change the situation. Once we understand the reason behind the behavior, we can take steps to change it.

People often tell me they know their animal understands them. They see their empathy and excitement when we’re sad or happy. They may lick us or bring us a toy to cheer us up or join in the fun. Animals are very aware of our feelings and needs.

Talk to your animals out loud. Share your thoughts and be open to any information you receive. Don’t second guess yourself or try too hard. Messages can come easily when you’re not over thinking or over analyzing.

You can start communicating by sending your animal a picture. I find my dogs waiting at the front door after I send an image of us walking at the park. In my own readings, we find a solution to an undesirable behavior then show the animal an image of him walking past other animals calmly and confidently feeling his person’s pride. The new behavior is reinforced with images prior to each walk and always follows with lots of praise.

When I ask my dogs how they are feeling, I usually receive a short answer that comes quickly. If I desire more information, I have to keep asking for details. You may find the need to continue with questions until you gain the clarity you desire.

Relationships and effective communication are central to our well-being. Our animals provide some of our most loving and rewarding relationships.  Like all successful relationships, communication is the key.